Comprehensive Plan Amendments Meeting for 2008
The Seattle City Council’s Planning, Land Use, and Neighborhoods Committee (PLUNC) will hold a public hearing to decide which proposed Comprehensive Plan amendments should be considered in the 2008 annual Comprehensive Plan amendment process.
Amendments of interest may include:
- South Downtown Future Land Use Map – Changing the industrial designation on the Future Land Use Map in all or a portion of the areas described to a “mixed-use” or a “downtown” designation.
- South Lake Union Industrial Designation – A portion of the South Lake Union Urban Center is now designated “industrial” on the Future Land Use Map. The proposal is to amend that designation to “commercial/mixed-use.”
- Linking Downtown and Capitol Hill – Look for opportunities to re-establish connections between Downtown and Capitol Hill and First Hill.
- Expand the definition of accessible transit stops to include signaled crosswalks… – Insure that all transit stops have signaled crosswalks (ped signal or full signal, whichever is appropriate) when located on a roadway with vehicles traveling on more than one lane in any particular direction.
- Prohibit new surface parking in the Downtown Mixed Residential zone – Surface parking lots are generally recognized as detrimental to a pleasant and safe pedestrian environment.
- Require reduction in vehicle miles traveled – Seek to reduce damage to Seattle’s roads and bridges that is caused by heavy vehicles, including transit buses as well as trucks used by the City and its contractors.
- Discourage extra heavy vehicle – Seek to reduce damage to Seattle’s roads and bridges that is caused by heavy vehicles, including transit buses as well as trucks used by the City and its contractors.
The public hearing will be on Monday, March 31, 2008 at 5:00 p.m. in the Council’s Chamber, 2nd floor, Seattle City Hall, 600 Fourth Avenue. The entrances to City Hall are located on the west side of Fifth Avenue, and the east side of Fourth Avenue, between James and Cherry Streets. For those who wish to testify, a sign-up sheet will be available outside the Council Chamber one-half hour before the public hearing.Email